Puka Nacua left Tuesday’s Los Angeles Rams practice early with minor groin soreness, prompting the team to act out of caution.
NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported that the issue isn’t believed to be serious. Nacua walked off the field with athletic trainer Reggie Scott. Head coach Sean McVay, speaking after practice, said he didn’t have an immediate update.
The incident unfolded during a joint practice with the Dallas Cowboys. Quarterback Matthew Stafford admitted he didn’t see what happened but noted the lack of alarm. “I’m not really sure what the issue was, but nobody ran up to me in a panic, so I don’t think it was anything too major,” Stafford said.
Sommaire
ToggleFinal rookie-contract season sharpens the concern
Nacua’s health takes on extra weight as he enters the fourth and final year of his rookie contract. Drafted in the fifth round in 2023, the 25-year-old continues to practice as he approaches a pivotal moment in his career earnings timeline.
Unlike some fourth-year NFL players, Nacua hasn’t withheld participation in pursuit of a new deal. That keeps the Rams’ top receiving threat on the field during the last year of a cost-controlled contract, but even minor injury news draws scrutiny with no long-term agreement in place.
His numbers are staggering. Nacua has averaged 95.3 receiving yards per game through three NFL seasons, the highest per-game mark for a receiver in league history. Last season, he led the NFL with 129 catches, racked up 1,715 yards, and scored 11 total touchdowns.
Those stats frame the Rams’ looming business decision. Nacua is central to the offense, and the team’s conservative approach to his practice exit underscores just how much they value his availability for the regular season.
Rams avoid escalating a minor practice issue
No signs point to Nacua missing regular-season games. He might sit out preseason action, but the current information describes the groin issue as soreness, not a significant injury.
The Rams kick off their preseason Saturday afternoon against the Kansas City Chiefs. McVay’s track record suggests starters won’t play, giving the team flexibility to manage Nacua’s workload and avoid unnecessary risk. Limited preseason snaps for starters can also complicate assessments of Madden accuracy predicting NFL games.
Nacua’s recent injury history explains the Rams’ caution. A right-knee injury in 2025, aggravated in the opener, led to a PCL sprain and five games on injured reserve. He also missed a game with an ankle sprain against Baltimore that year, though he still finished with a career season.
Six games were lost to injury in 2024, and he missed another in 2025. Reports describe Nacua as an aggressive player who often plays through bumps and bruises. The Rams’ decision to end his Tuesday session early looks like a calculated precaution, not a sign of escalation.
Receiver depth gives Los Angeles room to be cautious
The Rams’ receiver group remains largely intact from last season. Davante Adams, Jordan Whittington, Konata Mumpfield, and Xavier Smith are all expected to slot in behind Nacua. That stability gives Los Angeles options in practice while they monitor their top receiver’s groin soreness.
Still, depth doesn’t diminish Nacua’s significance to the franchise’s long-term plans. His record-setting production, league-leading 2025 reception total, and looming contract expiration keep his health at the center of the Rams’ contract calculus.
For now, the Rams are playing it safe. Rapoport’s report points to minor groin soreness, with no indication Nacua’s regular-season status is in jeopardy.
